Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Kip and Kyle

Kip and Kyle



Made back in 2000 while I was at the Emily Carr Institute studying animation, Kip and Kyle is the first film I ever made and took me over three months to animate. I went into a kindergarten classroom and recorded children at play. Two boys playing in a sandbox in the corner of the room intrigued me with their exaggerated actions as they played with toy cars. I took a 30 sound clip of them playing and animated it. I wanted the piece to be as energetic as the boys playing, so I made sure that the animation was really rough, with boiling lines, and full of life. The animation was created by animating directly on paper using only a black ink pen. The film was aquired by the CBC in 2004 and aired on their program ZeD, March 1st, 2004.

(copyright 2000 Jeff Chiba Stearns)

No comments: